These last few years have been trying to overcome many obstacles of completing school. But although I’m not on the same page as others I’m still getting there. I received my acceptance letter to UNCC around this time last year and literally fell to the ground in tears because I finally started realizing that my purpose on this earth has to have more meaning than I ever thought possible. I went through alot in the Fall 2014 semester: I struggled with financial issues, friendships and went through a terrible breakup around finals. I basically just said FUCK EVERYTHING!
Although I felt my whole world was spiraling out of control I decided to grasp a hold on my life and continue pushing because I refuse to be weak and let little or big setbacks keep me down. I brought my GPA back up this SPRING 2015 semester and was proud of myself because I knew I could do it I just had to encourage myself more. Enough of me though. Here are few tips for everyone returning back to school for the FALL 2015 semester….
- STUDY STUDY STUDY: You may think you can just review for a class the night before or cram and be successful, but this will not help you in the long run. And if you can do that and succeed then that’s great for you.
- TAKE NOTES: If the teacher says this will be on your test TRUST ME it will. A whole class period of the teacher reading straight from a Powerpoint is absolutely the worse, but somewhere in there you will find some useful information along the way. The best way to take on these are to take brief notes on each section to help you remember the information, but don’t ignore it just because the teacher is reading straight from it.
- HIGHLIGHTERS ARE YOUR BFF: If I rent books the first question I ask is can I highlight in it and not be penalized because that’s the best way to remember information in textbooks (for me anyway). This is useful for 10 plus pages for handouts also.
- READ THE REQUIRED READING: If you are assigned a book that you are not interested in just read the damn book. You will be quizzed and tested and if you don’t read it you will regret it I promise.
- LEAVE NEGATIVE VIBES BEHIND: As I said before I let my financial problems, family and friends, and my breakup affect my first semester at UNCC and it will drag you down if you let it. Always try to stay positive while studying and know that everything on the outside is not going to help you get that diploma only you can put in the work to get the results.
- ENJOY YOURSELF: I really want to be done with the late night study sessions, tests and ridiculous papers, but I made the choice to stay in school to further my education and as much as I dislike it. I know that I will be successful and it will all be worth my blood,sweat and tears 🙂 haha no blood I hope! Just make the most out of every situation while in college.
I hope everyone has a great FALL 2015 semester and always stay focused and realize this is all temporary. You will be fine and don’t let one bad grade or teacher discourage you. There are so many people waiting for you to FAIL, but don’t let them win. YOU GOT THIS !